The project SSE encyclopedia aims to provide policymakers and academics with a reference tool which on a wide range of topics associated with social and solidarity economy (SSE). By providing legitimate and credible information and knowledge on key issues of SSE, it will introduce this sector to those not familiar with it, offer them with an overview of a wide range of topics associated with it, and allow SSE stakeholders to check facts or gain additional knowledge on the topic. It will also provide academic researchers to add legitimate sources to their research papers, presentations and theses.
Despite the growing amount of academic and policy-oriented research related to SSE which accompanies the increased recognition of SSE’s transformative and sustainable potential, SSE remains a relatively new concept. There is therefore a demand for high-quality knowledge on this concept and information to guide policymakers and practitioners in the implementation and operation of SSE organisations and enterprises. As of yet, there has been no project or source which comprehensively incorporates and discusses the principal topics, debates, and challenges associated with SSE in various contexts. Therefore, this UNTFSSE project convenes leading academics to produce an SSE encyclopedia which shall serve as an essential tool to develop a detailed overview of SSE and its associated topics.
To identify key topics relevant practitioners, policymakers and academics, a call for submissions to contribute chapters towards this project will be announced in the second half of 2020. The submitted proposals for interesting entries will be discussed by the Editorial Committee consisting of eight to ten experts with gender and regional balance, and 80 to 100 proposals selected and finalized.
Already confirmed members of the Editorial Committee are:
- Barbara Sak, Managing Director, CIRIEC-International
- Caroline Shenaz Hossein, Associate Professor of Business & Society in the Department of Social Science, York University
- Denison Jayasooria, Chair, Asian Solidarity Economy Council (ASEC)
- Fernanda Wanderley, Director Socio-Economic Research Institute, Universidad Católica Boliviana “San Pablo”
- Jacques Defourny, Director Centre for Social Economy, University of Liège
- Jean-Louis Laville, Professor at Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers à Paris (Cnam)
- Peter Utting, former Chair of UNTFSSE and UNRISD Deputy Director
- Sifa Chiyoge, Regional Director and CEO of International Co-operative Alliance-Africa
Publishing partner of this encyclopedia is Edward Elgar Publishing.